Ubuntu 12.04 LTS has some great improvements over the older version. Even through it is no longer working with Active Directory LDAP authentication due to the bug in the libnss-ldap that causing sudo no longer work with start_tls; however, it does connect to Active Directory now (not LDAP) and acts as one of the Windows PC computer with Windows ACL (I do missed NFS mounts and using UNIX UID/GID as user account’s attributes tho).
Here is how to connect your Ubuntu system to Active Directory with likewise-open package:
- Go to ubuntu Software Center and search for likewise.
- Install like-wise Desktop utility for joining Active Directory domains (likewise-open-gui)
- After installed, run Active Directory membership app
- Enter computer name and your Active Directory Domain name
- Now it asks for an account that has the admin rights to join the domain. This is same as MS-Windows process
- This is it. Reboot the PC and now you can login with your domain username and password.